NEET PG Cut-off 2023 reduced to zero by MCC in a surprising move. The Health Ministry on Friday clarified that its recent directive to reduce the cut-off or qualifying percentile for NEET-PG 2023 to “zero” across all categories will translate into seats being offered to students till they are exhausted.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: In a significant relief to all candidates who appeared in NEET PG 2023, the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) which allocates postgraduate seats in medical colleges across the country has reduced the NEET PG 2023 qualifying percentile to Zero.
The move came after IMA requested to centre to reduce the NEET PG 2023 cutoff by 30%. This is the first time in the history of the NEET PG exam that the eligibility cut-off has been completely done away with by MCC.
The move has received mixed responses from the medical fraternity but is hailed as good news among medical aspirants. Read the article to know the significance and implication of the Zero NEET PG cut-off for medical aspirants.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: Latest News
Earlier this week the Medical Counselling Committee issued a public notice on behalf of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare that the qualifying percentile for NEET PG 2023 Counselling has been reduced to ‘ZERO’ across all categories.
- It further added that fresh registration and choice filling for Round 3 of NEET PG Counselling 2023 will be opened again.
- This move will benefit all those candidates who have become eligible after the reduction of the NEET PG 2023 qualifying percentile to Zero.
- Around 13,000 vacant seats are expected to be filled based on the new qualifying percentile in the Round 3 NEET PG Counselling 2023.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: New Cut-Off
As the MCC stated in its public notice the new cut-off is to be Zero percentile for NEET PG 2023 Counselling. This implies that the qualifying percentile for NEET PG 2023 Counselling which was set at the 50th percentile for general, 45th percentile for PH and 40th percentile for reserved categories stands at ‘Zero’ for all candidates irrespective of category.
With effect from the announcement date the new NEET PG 2023 Cut-off for all categories will now be Zero percentile for the remaining Rounds of NEET PG 2023 Counselling.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: Previous Qualifying Percentile and Score
The NEET PG 2023 qualifying percentile is the minimum requirement of the percentile that every candidate had to fulfil in their respective category to be eligible for the NEET PG 2023 Counselling and seat allotment process.
As the new NEET PG Cut-off 2023 percentile is announced let’s revisit the previous qualifying percentile for different categories:
|NEET PG Cut-off 2023
|NEET PG 2023 Cut-off Score
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: What Does Zero Cut Off Mean?
The reduction of NEET PG Cutoff 2023 to Zero has been debated by medical experts as it would mean everyone who appeared in the NEET PG 2023 exam will now be eligible to participate in the admission counselling being conducted by the MCC.
- The reduction of the NEET PG 2023 qualifying percentile to zero literally means that the eligibility cut-off for admission counselling stands removed.
- As an impact of this decision, everyone who has appeared for the NEET PF 2023 exam now becomes eligible for NEET PG Round 3 Counselling 2023 for admission to MD, MS, DNB, and PG Diploma courses.
- Even those candidates who scored fewer marks or negative marks in NEET PG 2023 will now be eligible as per the ‘Zero’ percentile criteria.
- It would, however, not guarantee admission to the PG course as the NEET PG 2023 ranks will be considered by medical for admission. Those with better ranks in the merit list will be called for NEET PG 2023 Counselling.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: Why Zero Percentile?
According to sources, one of the major reasons behind MCC’s decision to reduce the NEET PG Cut-off 2023 to zero is the number of vacant seats in postgraduate medical colleges. Despite MCC conducting additional stray-vacancy rounds each year to fill the remaining seats, the number of vacant seats over the year in PG medical courses has been significant.
In the 2021-22 session itself, the number of vacant seats stood at 3,744 concerning admission authorities. Even after two successful Rounds of NEET PG 2023 Counseling for the current academic year, the number of vacant seats is 13,245 mostly in clinical subjects which led IMA to write to the centre for a reduction in NEET PG 2023 Cut-off.
The decision to bring a revised NEET PG Cut-off 2023 down to Zero aims to fill the vacant seats in available subjects including General Medicine.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: Impact on Cut Off Score
One of the most important questions that now emerge with the Zero qualifying percentile is what impact it would have on the cut score as the NEET PG 2023 Cut Off score is directly proportional to the the qualifying percentile. Previous at the 50th percentile the score for NEET PG Cut-off 2023 was 291.
Now, as the qualifying percentile for NEET PG Cut Off 2023 was declared Zero it would greatly impact the Cut-off score which would be nullified with new changes. By default, anyone who appeared in the NEET PG 2023 exam is now eligible to apply for Round 3 NEET PG Counselling 2023 for admission to postgraduate medical courses.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: New Merit List
The NEET PG 2023 Merit list is prepared on the basis of rank assigned to candidates based on their NEET PG 2023 marks and is independent of NEET PG Cut-off 2023. This effectively means that the reduction of the NEET PG 2023 Cut-off to zero will not have a major impact on the NEET PG 2023 Merit list for both AIQ ranking and State rankings.
The new NEET PG 2023 Merit list will simply expanded to include names of more candidates as per the seat matrix of medical colleges. The candidates who rank higher in the merit list will be called for the choice-filling process of NEET PG 2023 Counselling and will be allotted seats in postgraduate medical colleges accordingly.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: Significance for Medical Aspirants
This decision of MCC holds great significance for those medical aspirants who missed admission opportunities earlier due to the high NEET PG 2023 Qualifying Percentile. The major implications of Zero NEET PG Cut-off 2023 percentile for medical aspirants are given below:
- All candidates who appeared in NEET PG 2023 will be declared eligible to take part in the NEET PG 2023 Round 3 Counselling irrespective of their percentile score.
- Candidates who missed the cut-off by a few marks will be able to apply for their dream PG Course in NEET PG 2023 admission counselling.
- All category candidates will be treated equally with respect to the NEET PG 2023 qualifying percentile.
- More admission opportunities will be available to eligible candidates if they meet other eligibility criteria such as merit list rank, MBBS marks, and Internship criteria.
- Fresh Registration and Choice filling process will open for All India Quota and State Quota admission through further rounds of NEET PG 2023 Counselling.
NEET PG Cut Off 2023: What to Do Next?
The obvious question for those medical aspirants who appeared in NEET PG 2023 is what to do next after this new Zero percentile criteria of NEET PG Cut-off 2023. Here are some suggestions for the next course of action:
- First and foremost, check the NEET PG 2023 Eligibility Criteria for NEET PG 2023 Counselling and ensure you meet all the eligibility criteria as required by MCC.
- Those who have appeared in the NEET PG 2023 should gear up with all documents for Round 3 of NEET PG 2023 Counselling.
- Do thorough research on the best medical college available for your NEET PG 2023 rank and score.
- Participate in AIQ or state NEET PG 2023 Counselling according to rank and marks scored in NEET PG 2023 to be considered for seat allocation in respective medical colleges.
- Those preparing for NEET PG 2024 should continue studying hard as this may not repeat next year due to the fact that the NEET PG 2024 Cut-off will depend on several factors including vacant seats in medical college, which might be significantly filled this year.